Duration: 1/2 day
Times: To be discussed
Class size: 10 students
Pre-requisite: No pre-requisites
Assessment type: Theory and practical
Gas Test Atmospheres can be conducted as a Night Course. Please contact us for further information.
Units of Competency
|Course Code||Course Name|
|MSMWHS217||Gas test atmospheres|
Course Description - Gas Test Atmospheres
This unit of competency covers the skills and knowledge required to test the working atmosphere, using electronic test apparatus, to find out if it is safe for the proposed work.
It applies to situations where an individual may be required to carry out gas testing of an atmosphere prior to entering a specific area or workspace. The competency requires the person to interpret readings and take actions based on the interpretation.
Working environment may be hazardous, unpredictable, subject to time pressure, chaotic and expose responders to risk, on land or water, by day or night. Workplace atmospheres may include visible and invisible hazards and hazardous surfaces.
The unit is suitable for use in the following situations:
- confined spaces
- enclosed and partially enclosed spaces
- hot work
- storage tanks, silos, pits, pipes, shafts, ducts, transport vehicles and ships
- testing as part of issuing a work permit
- monitoring as part of working under a work permit
- open areas
- holding the gas tester by hand
- lowering the gas tester into a space, e.g. on a line.
This unit of competency applies to an individual working alone or as part of a team or group and working in liaison with other shift team members and the control room operator, as appropriate.
Why Train with Us?
> Large variety of funding options available:
- CSQ Short Course & SAGT
- BERT Training Fund
- User Choice
- Certificate 3 Guarantee
> We do not cancel courses due to minimum numbers*
> We include RII units
> Extensive range of plant equipment
> Tax deduction for accredited training
*Except where required by the state safe work regulator
- OHS and legislative obligations
- Identify work requirements
- Identify work procedures and instructions
- Prepare for gas testing
- Test gas
- Maintain equipment
- Access and install equipment
- Clean up work area
Course Training & Outcomes
Training & Assessment
With successful completion of the training & assessment, applicants will be issued with a Statement of Attainment (SOA) and wallet-sized plastic competency card for:
MSMWHS217 Gas test atmospheres
Provided that students have been deemed competent at the conclusion of their training & assessment, they will receive their SOA and Card on their final day of the course.
Example Competency Card
Example Statement of Attainment
Training Requirements & What To Bring
- High Risk Work Licence assessments can only be undertaken at the age of 18 years or over
- All current High Risk Work Licences
- Logbooks recording high risk work hours under supervision (if available)
- Unique Student Identifier (USI) is required prior to course commencement – please bring number to course.
- Photo ID i.e. Queensland or Interstate Driver’s Licence or Passport
- Applicants will be required to have a basic knowledge and understanding of the English language
- PPE must be worn by students attending the course on all occasions. This includes steel cap boots, long pants, long sleeves, (high vis shirt if possible otherwise long sleeves with a high vis vest) and a safety hard hat. For dogging, rigging & scaffolding courses, students are required to bring gloves and safety glasses.
WH&S More Skills will provide whistles as well as the general training equipment, notes, logbook and training plans, calculators and pens.
The training facilities are comfortable and air conditioned, with modern training aids. Tea and coffee making facilities are provided as well as fridges and a microwave for participants to use. There are several takeaway lunch spots of good quality within a kilometre. Lunch is not provided with the training.
Students have direct access to all the necessary plant required for the relevant course i.e. Cranes, EWP, Forklifts and Scaffold.
The Construction Training Centre offers a free car park for all students and visitors, as well as a cafe onsite.
On-site Training & Group Bookings
We also offer onsite training as well as group booking options at our training facilities.
Onsite training and group bookings provide the advantage of being able to choose the course dates as it is suitable for you and your employees.
For more information contact us on (07) 3183 0000 or send an email enquiry.