Duration: 1 day
Times: 7:00am – 3:00pm
Class size: 10 students
Pre-requisite: No pre-requisites
Assessment type: Theory and practical
Gantry or Overhead Crane can be conducted as a Night Course. Please contact us for further information.
Units of Competency
|Course Code||Course Name|
|RIIHAN305D||Operate a gantry or overhead crane|
This unit describes a participant’s skills and knowledge required to operate a gantry or overhead crane in the Resources and Infrastructure Industries.
This unit is appropriate for those working in operational roles.
This Unit of Competency is designed to assist individuals and organisations to meet their obligation for training of staff as set out in the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 and Work Health and Safety Regulations 2011.
The Regulation no longer requires persons to hold a licence for the operation of a remote or pendant operated, Bridge and Gantry Crane with 3 or less powered operations. However, there is still an obligation for worker training.
Why Train with Us?
> Large variety of funding options available:
- CSQ Short Course & SAGT
- BERT Training Fund
- User Choice
- Certificate 3 Guarantee
> We do not cancel courses due to minimum numbers*
> We include RII units
> Extensive range of plant equipment
> Tax deduction for accredited training
*Except where required by the state safe work regulator
- Access, interpret and apply crane operation documentation and ensure the work activity is compliant
- Obtain, read, interpret, clarify and confirm work requirements
- Identify and address potential risks, hazards and environmental issues, and implement control measures
- Select and wear personal protective equipment appropriate for work activities
- Coordinate activities with others prior to commencement and throughout operations
- Prepare load for lift in accordance with crane limitations and rigging requirements
- Perform pre-start, start-up, park-up and shutdown procedures
- Confirm the work area hazards are removed or controlled prior to commencing the lift
- Interpret signals in accordance with AS2550
- Operate controls to lift, transfer and lower loads
- Monitor lift operations and ensure compliance
- Inspect crane for faults
- Perform routine operational servicing, lubrication and housekeeping tasks
- Process written records
Course Training & Outcomes
Training & Assessment
With successful completion of the training & assessment, applicants will be issued with a Statement of Attainment (SOA) and wallet-sized plastic competency card for:
RIIHAN305D Operate a gantry or overhead crane
Provided that students have been deemed competent at the conclusion of their training & assessment, they will receive their SOA and Card on their final day of the course.
Example Competency Card
Example Statement of Attainment
Training Requirements & What To Bring
- High Risk Work Licence assessments can only be undertaken at the age of 18 years or over
- All current High Risk Work Licences
- Logbooks recording high risk work hours under supervision (if available)
- Unique Student Identifier (USI) is required prior to course commencement – please bring number to course.
- Photo ID i.e. Queensland or Interstate Driver’s Licence or Passport
- Applicants will be required to have a basic knowledge and understanding of the English language
- PPE must be worn by students attending the course on all occasions. This includes steel cap boots, long pants, long sleeves, (high vis shirt if possible otherwise long sleeves with a high vis vest) and a safety hard hat. For dogging, rigging & scaffolding courses, students are required to bring gloves and safety glasses.
WH&S More Skills will provide whistles as well as the general training equipment, notes, logbook and training plans, calculators and pens.
The training facilities are comfortable and air conditioned, with modern training aids. Tea and coffee making facilities are provided as well as fridges and a microwave for participants to use. There are several takeaway lunch spots of good quality within a kilometre. Lunch is not provided with the training.
Students have direct access to all the necessary plant required for the relevant course i.e. Cranes, EWP, Forklifts and Scaffold.
The Construction Training Centre offers a free car park for all students and visitors, as well as a cafe onsite.
On-site Training & Group Bookings
We also offer onsite training as well as group booking options at our training facilities.
Onsite training and group bookings provide the advantage of being able to choose the course dates as it is suitable for you and your employees.
For more information contact us on (07) 3183 0000 or send an email enquiry.