About the Short Course program
Are you looking to learn new and important skills that will help you to further your career in construction? Construction Skills Queensland’s Short Courses Program with its focus on safety and licencing training could be for you.
The Short Courses program provides funding to assist with upskilling and cross skilling existing workers in the building and construction industry. The training focuses on the safety, regulatory and licensing requirements of the industry and can provide you with a range of competencies that employers need. And as the program name suggests, the Short Courses are designed to get you up-skilled fast.
For the purposes of eligibility, participants under this agreement must meet the following criteria.
- They must be an existing worker in the building and construction industry who has a one month or more employment relationship with their employer. The working relationship can be built up through full-time, part-time or casual employment or engagement as a contract worker.
As evidence of employment status we require a signed letter from their employer on company letter head or a payslip/s for one month.
- Proof that they are either (a) Australian or New Zealand citizen; or (b) a permanent resident of Australia; or (c) a refugee and humanitarian visa holder. (please note this does not include a 457 visa)
As evidence we require one of the following:a) Birth certificateb) Passport; orc) Visa
- They must also (a) permanently reside in Queensland; or (b) be permanently employed in Queensland.
- a) Queensland drivers licenceb) telephone accountc) bank statementd) statement from a real estate agent; ore) any other formal documentation stating the participants full name and current residential address and/or their employment status.
Funded training (with High Risk Work licence outcomes)
The Certificate 3 Guarantee provides Queenslanders with access to government subsidised training. With one of WH&S More Skills Certificate III courses you can upskill to enhance your current career or better your employment prospects.
What does this mean for me?
The Certificate 3 Guarantee gives eligible Queenslanders access to a government subsidised training place, up to and including their first post-school certificate level III qualification in priority training areas. The Certificate 3 Guarantee subsidy for a course is paid to the training provider to reduce the cost of the certificate III course to the student.
The amount of subsidy provided by the Certificate 3 Guarantee will vary depending on the demand for skilled workers in a particular industry and the needs of the student.
What is the cost?
Students undertaking Certificate III training will be required to contribute to the cost of their training through a co-contribution fee. For details on the co-contribution fees applied to each of our courses, please visit our Queensland Certificate III Qualifications course page.
How do I know if I’m eligible?
To be eligible for the Certificate 3 Guarantee a student must:
- not hold or be already undertaking a certificate III or higher level qualification (certificate III qualifications completed at school are not counted)
- be 15 years of age or older
- Queensland resident – an Australian Citizen or permanent resident living in Queensland, or a New Zealand citizen permanently residing in Queensland
Employment status does not matter, nor is there any minimum education requirement, only the standard entry requirements for the course of study.
Note: Eligible individuals must understand that the entitlement under the Certificate 3 Guarantee is for one Government subsidised training place in a funded certificate III qualification. It is very important that you take the time to consider and compare your training options and costs, before signing an enrolment form or committing to a course of study which will use up your entitlement.
I’m not sure if I already hold a certificate III or higher level qualification, how do I know if I’m eligible?
WH&S More Skills can check your eligibility. Please contact us on 07 3183 0000.
I’ve already checked and I’m eligible. What next?
- Check out our Queensland Certificate III Qualifications course page, or browse our courses to find the right option for you.
- Check out the Student Information page on the DETE website to learn more about Certificate III Guarantee and how it works.