Duration: 4 days training and 1 day assessment
Times: 7:00am – 3:00pm
Class size: 5 students
Pre-requisite: WH&S More Skills requires all applicants to hold a current Licence to Perform Dogging, as well as satisfactory demonstration of industry experience.
Assessment type: Theory and practical
Tower Crane Licence is also conducted as a Night Course. Please contact us for further information.
Units of Competency
|Course Code||Course Name|
|CPCCLTC4001A||Licence to operate a tower crane|
What is a Tower Crane?
A tower crane is a jib or boom crane mounted on a tower structure, demountable or permanent, including both horizontal and luffing jib types.
Tower cranes are fixed to the ground on a concrete slab (and sometimes attached to the sides of structures). Tower cranes often give the best combination of height and lifting capacity and are used in the construction of tall buildings. The base is then attached to the mast which gives the crane its height. The mast is attached to the slewing unit (gear and motor) that allows the crane to rotate. On top of the slewing unit there are three main parts which are: the long horizontal jib (working arm), shorter counter-jib, and the operators cab.
The long horizontal jib is the part of the crane that carries the load. The counter-jib carries a counterweight, usually of concrete blocks, while the jib suspends the load to and from the center of the crane. The crane operator either sits in a cab at the top of the tower or controls the crane by radio remote control from the ground.
This unit specifies the outcomes required to operate a tower crane for licensing purposes, and covers a jib or boom/job crane mounted on a tower structure, demountable or permanent, including both horizontal and luffing jib types. This unit does not cover self-erecting tower cranes.
A person who demonstrates competency in this unit must be able to provide evidence of the ability to:
- comply with OH&S licensing legislation
- communicate and work safely with others in the work area
- assess risks and management procedures (particular awareness of the risks associated with overhead powerlines/electrical cables, wind, etc)
- operate a tower crane for the lifting and moving of loads to the safe working rated capacity in conjunction with other
- appropriate personnel
- apply appropriate mathematical procedures for estimation of loads.
This unit requires the operator to plan the work, conduct routine checks, transfer loads and shut down and secure the crane. This unit requires the operator to plan the work, conduct routine checks, transfer loads and shut down and secure the crane.
Why Train with Us?
- Large variety of funding options available:
- CSQ Short Course
- BERT Training Fund
*Except where required by the state safe work regulator
- OHS and legislative obligations
- How to safely plan tower crane operations
- Identification and control of hazards/risks in the workplace
- Inspection and selection of lifting equipment including sling and load calculations
- How to conduct pre-start, pre-operational and post-operational inspections on a tower crane
- Reading and interpreting load charts
- Setting up a crane
- Use of LMI (load monitor indicator)
- Operating a crane following hand, whistle and radio signals
- Operating and shifting a variety of loads
The training facilities are comfortable air conditioned with modern training aids. Tea and coffee making facilities are provided as well as fridges and a microwave for participants to use. There are several takeaway lunch spots of good quality within a kilometre. Lunch is not provided with the training.
Students have direct access to all the necessary plant required for the relevant course i.e. Cranes, EWP, Forklifts and Scaffold.
The Construction Training Centre offers a free car park for all students and visitors, as well as a cafe onsite.
On-site Training & Group Bookings
We also offer onsite training as well as group booking options at our training facilities.
Onsite training and group bookings provide the advantage of being able to choose the course dates as it is suitable for you and your employees.
For more information contact us on (07) 3183 0000 or send an email enquiry.