Duration: 1 day
Times: 7:00am - 3:00pm
Class size: 8 students
Pre-requisite: No pre-requisites
Assessment type: Theory and practical
Breathing Apparatus can be conducted as a Night Course. Please contact us for further information.
Units of Competency
|Course Code||Course Name|
|MSMWHS216||Operate breathing apparatus|
This unit of competency covers the skills and knowledge required to operate and maintain breathing apparatus and equipment in an irrespirable atmosphere, as defined by the Australian Standard AS/NZS 1715:2009 Selection, use and maintenance of respiratory protective equipment.
This unit of competency applies to operators who are required to wear breathing apparatus because they are working:
- in a confined space
- with hazardous gases/vapours
- in an oxygen deficient atmosphere
- in other situations requiring the wearing of breathing apparatus.
Operators may also be required to wear breathing apparatus in emergency situations, however, this is not the prime focus of this unit.
This unit of competency applies to an individual working alone or as part of a team or group and working in liaison with other shift team members and the control room operator, as appropriate.
Evidence required to demonstrate competence in this unit must be relevant to and satisfy the requirements of the elements and performance criteria and must include the ability to:
- conduct pre-donning tests on breathing apparatus
- correctly don and operate breathing apparatus
- identify hazards and apply control measures according to procedures
- communicate while using breathing apparatus
- determine the available working time from a breathing apparatus set
- correctly close down, remove and clean breathing apparatus
- report faults and/or damage to breathing apparatus.
Why Train with Us?
> Large variety of funding options available:
- CSQ Short Course & SAGT
- BERT Training Fund
- User Choice
- Certificate 3 Guarantee
> We do not cancel courses due to minimum numbers*
> We include RII units
> Extensive range of plant equipment
> Tax deduction for accredited training
*Except where required by the state safe work regulator
- OHS and legislative obligations
- Identify work requirements
- Identify work procedures and instructions
- Conduct pre-donning checks and tests on breathing apparatus
- Operate breathing apparatus
- Conclude operations in accordance with procedures
- Maintain equipment
- Clean up work area
The training facilities are comfortable and air conditioned, with modern training aids. Tea and coffee making facilities are provided as well as fridges and a microwave for participants to use. There are several takeaway lunch spots of good quality within a kilometre. Lunch is not provided with the training.
Students have direct access to all the necessary plant required for the relevant course i.e. Cranes, EWP, Forklifts and Scaffold.
The Construction Training Centre offers a free car park for all students and visitors, as well as a cafe onsite.
On-site Training & Group Bookings
We also offer onsite training as well as group booking options at our training facilities.
Onsite training and group bookings provide the advantage of being able to choose the course dates as it is suitable for you and your employees.
For more information contact us on (07) 3183 0000 or send an email enquiry.